[ExI] zoom creates language weirdness

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Nov 13 17:59:23 UTC 2020

…> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat

Subject: Re: [ExI] zoom creates language weirdness

>…Spike, that is really great news for an old band boy (bass sax, Sousaphone, trombone - changed because the drunks in the back row at the football stadium kept trying to play my Sousaphone - so I changed to trombone - way easier to carry).  Imagination will carry the day.   bill w

BillW, do extrapolate forward please.  We have heard high school choirs and bands.  We know the inherent limitations: they usually don’t sound very good.  The players haven’t achieved the requisite level of mastery on their instruments.

But if you have a group with each submitting an audio file which can be edited, and you have a person who knows what she is doing with music editing software, she can make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.  The whole sounds waaay better than the sum of its parts.

This is particularly relevant to those of us who have been in bands and choirs.  We already know that any school group has a few good players.  The product doesn’t need to contain every voice and every contributing instrument: the lousy ones don’t need to be used.  The good ones can be replicated, modified and superimposed such that the same wav file sounds like two different good players, or arbitrarily many good players.

The lousy players can imagine their voice is in there, but that illusion is harmless.