[ExI] down by the riverside

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sat Sep 5 00:18:25 UTC 2020

Quoting Spike:

> Over time, confirmed cases accumulate.  If any fatality who was a
> confirmed covid case counts as a covid fatality, then herd immunity
> would result in that graph up there will eventually turn green.  Now
> it is about equal, but the right side of that graph should be more
> homers than non-homers, so it should transition from blue to green.
> Reasoning: people continue to perish in nursing homes, even if the
> virus runs its course, but the non-homers wouldn?t as much.
>

> Smart amateur immunologists among us, does that sound reasonable to
> you?  Why or why not?

That does sound reasonable to me, especially because many homers are
already chronically ill and potentially immunocompromised. As a result
an infection that should have been resolved in 2 weeks takes a month
or longer. Even if a resident is capable of shaking off the virus
eventually, if he slips in the shower during a coughing fit and cracks
his head open while positive for virus, he is still a COVID death.

Incidentally there is anecdotal evidence that people who are immune to
the virus can develop subclinical asymptomatic reinfection after
several months. So there is a slim possibility that it might become
endemic in nursing homes as a nosocomial infection long after the
general population is immune due to constant re-exposure by immune but
mildly reinfected visitors and staff. This is likely to be exacerbated
by profit-motive if the government continues to maintain a bounty on
so-called COVID deaths.

Stuart LaForge