[ExI] Human Warfare is learned behaviour - not evolutionary

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 07:14:59 UTC 2020

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 11:25 AM BillK via extropy-chat <

> Humans aren’t inherently selfish – we’re actually hardwired to work
> together
> August 20, 2020
>
> Author  Steve Taylor
> Senior Lecturer in Psychology, Leeds Beckett University

<snip>

### This guy is an idiot.

We are actually hardwired to work together to kill people.

See "The Goodness Paradox" by Richard Wrangham. The book presents a
compelling argument that the goodness of humans (who are quite gentle as
compared to apes) is due to self-domestication which in turn was made
possible by intra-group lethal coalitionary violence - i.e. the meek men
working together to kill troublesome men.

I warmly recommend the book. Very well argued with lots of details and
tidbits, including descriptions of the "ball game" played by chimps, and
the "blowhole" game played by dolphins. Entertaining and enlightening.

It is strange to think that our niceness was made possible by widespread
killing in cold blood over hundreds of thousands of years but once you
think it through, it makes great sense.

Rafal