[ExI] did sweden accidentally achieve herd immunity?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Sep 18 13:27:53 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Henrik Ohrstrom via extropy-chat

>…It is very interesting, most of the places that where hit hard like NY, Barcelona and by all means, Stockholm, have low infection rates now. Madrid had quite few cases first time round. Nothing looks like a true second wave anywhere. All the nasty times are had in places that wasn't hit in the spring. So in Sweden, many places had zero sick until late this summer. Certainly in Norway who now have a higher infection rate than Sweden. So high in fact that we should now lock down vs them according to current Norwegian rules.....

They are not happy about this..... /Henrik

Henrik, thanks, I hope we learned from all this.  Shutting down an economy creates damage that is harder to measure but is enormous.  I have been working on ways in which society benefits from the healing (I do look at the bright side if possible (it’s my way (and there are plenty of silver linings to this one.)))

For instance… we already had Zoom and Google meets.  But schools were forced into it, and it demonstrated a new path around a huge and growing roadblock: college was getting more and more and more expensive, and its end product less measurable.  So… we now know that measurement of ability is a promising and growing industry.  We know that students’ ability to learn on their own at home is a critical skill.  Oh I do hope I get a lot of commentary on that paragraph.

I will hold on the rest of my Zoom/Google meets commentary for now, but I have more.