[ExI] they never recover

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 13:42:30 UTC 2020

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 at 14:26, spike jones via extropy-chat

> I have been using this as my primary data source:
> https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
>
> Spain, UK and Sweden apparently have a particularly lethal strain of covid, for once these patients get that strain, they never recover.  They don’t have an elevated risk of death necessarily, and they can go about their business after the symptoms go away.  But according to the dataset, in those three countries, no one ever recovers.  In UK, Sweden and Spain, if you catch covid, you will eventually perish.  Might be 80 years from now, but you’re a goner.
>
> This is all lending new credibility to the notion that Belgium has been claiming the whole time: you cannot compare these directly: different countries count their dead and their living differently.
>
> spike

That is no longer true for the UK.
See:  <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53722711>
Quote:

A review of how deaths from coronavirus are counted in England has
reduced the UK death toll by more than 5,000, to 41,329, the
government has announced.
The recalculation is based on a new definition of who has died from Covid.
Previously, people in England who died at any point following a
positive test, regardless of cause, were counted in the figures.

But there will now be a cut-off of 28 days, providing a more accurate
picture of the epidemic.
This brings England's measure in line with the other UK nations.