[ExI] jarring change

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 18:50:08 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 6:36 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat

> What jobs and careers actually require a Masters or
> Bachelors -- as opposed to someone getting them because it's
> expected?)  dan
>
> If you are in higher education, a Ph. D. (or some other doctorate) is a must unless you are thinking of teaching at a junior/community college or high school.  A Master's in psych, for example, is a booby prize for those who got in as a first year student, but did not pass the tests for entrance to the doctoral program, given at the end of the first year..  bill w

Yet there the Masters has become the new high school diploma now. My
question was rhetorical. Very few jobs and careers considered via
skills and experience need a college degree. Writing code even at an
expert level is probably better served by learning to write code and
do general problem solving along with much hands on work in the field
-- not by fulfilling a Masters. Yet if there's a queue of a hundred
resumes and you're hiring, it helps to weed out the folks without
degrees or with only a Bachelors. Why? Well, if Caplan's right, it's
because you know those folks are willing to put in lots of effort on
long term projects. But that's a wasteful signal. The job doesn't
really require it and it's merely being used to filter folks. (In the
same way, if you're hiring someone to be a barista, do they really
need a high school diploma? They need to know grade school math and
how to work around a coffee machine and clean up. The high school
diploma doesn't really improve on that. Yet the high school dropout is
unlikely to get the job.)

It'd be interesting to know what you make of Caplan's work here rather
than filter it all through me. If you're interested, especially since
you're and avid reader, see:

https://press.princeton.edu/books/hardcover/9780691174655/the-case-against-education

Regards,

Dan