[ExI] jarring change

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 12:22:30 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 3:06 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 6:36 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
> >
> > What jobs and careers actually require a Masters or
> > Bachelors -- as opposed to someone getting them because it's
> > expected?)  dan
> >
> > If you are in higher education, a Ph. D. (or some other doctorate) is a
> must unless you are thinking of teaching at a junior/community college or
> high school.  A Master's in psych, for example, is a booby prize for those
> who got in as a first year student, but did not pass the tests for entrance
> to the doctoral program, given at the end of the first year..  bill w
>
> Yet there the Masters has become the new high school diploma now. My
> question was rhetorical. Very few jobs and careers considered via
> skills and experience need a college degree.

Rhetorical or not, I'll answer it: my daughter is a "Licensed Professional
Counselor with Mental Health Service Provider designation" <
https://www.mentalhealthcounselorlicense.com/license/mental-health-counselor-tennessee.html>
which requires "a graduate program with a counseling major". She has
a Master of Education in Mental Health Counseling.

Writing code even at an
> expert level is probably better served by learning to write code and
> do general problem solving along with much hands on work in the field
> -- not by fulfilling a Masters.

Absolutely agree.

-Dave