[ExI] Human Fetal (sic) Tissue Research

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Sep 17 13:06:28 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Human Fetal (sic) Tissue Research

On 15/09/2020 15:23, John K Clark wrote:

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 8:10 AM spike jones via extropy-chat
<extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> >
wrote:

> So have this funded privately.  If you accept government money you have to
play by government rules.

Spike, is there ANY action the current Presidential administration could
take that you would not defend with every fiber of your being?

That's not a defence, that's a work-around.

--
Ben Zaiboc

Hi Ben, I don't see having medical research funded by government if it
involves fetal tissue.  Every time that has come up it creates new problems
and new roadblocks.  This is what politics is all about: find ways to get
this done in such a way to get those who are offended by this sort of thing
off your back.  They are partly paying for it, and their votes count.

So. a politician will find a way to work around direct conflict, just as a
good general looks for ways to get the army around the other guy rather than
face to face combat.  A good politician knows that government funding is a
trap; it comes with too many strings attached.

We can find away around this one easily.  Have the fetal tissue donated
privately and have the research a mix of funds so that fetal tissue research
is not at all easy to distinguish from any other type of medical research.

None of this has anything to do with my personal views on abortion.  I find
it most distasteful, but those who face that decision are the ones who make
that call; there should be no laws regulating it in my view.  There are
plenty who disagree with me on that, and I respect their views too.  There
is no objective truth in politics, only points of view.

So don't defend.  Work around.  It is more peaceful that way.