[ExI] simulation stat goofiness

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Sep 18 16:46:45 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Will Steinberg via extropy-chat

>>>…half-assed notion…

>>… think of it Will: that concept in itself is something that can only really be done in a sim.  Everybody knows that buns come in pairs…

>…Ah yes, the Bun Argument. ;)

Ja, Will, but after I wrote it, I realized there are other ways to interpret the notion.  Its bilateral symmetry suggests a vertical division, but doesn’t actually require it.  Division could be imagined horizontally, or even with a division by a vertical plane whose perpendicular vector points in the direction the hapless flat-ass is facing.  The mind boggles, but… if one is open minded, there are even versions of the idea which require no plastic surgery or falling sheets of plate glass: think of the heroin-chic fashions where it is (somehow) considered cool to wear what looks like someone-else’s pants, with the someone else being at least four sizes bigger.

Or… booty shorts, would be something a bit more appealing to imagine, but either visual fails to really come anywhere close to the actual meaning of the original term which I think originated with “half-hearted effort.”