[ExI] smoke 'em dano

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Sep 18 21:43:20 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] smoke 'em dano

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 4:52 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

Every society has its silliness, and the USA is a powerfully-silly place.  Of all of them, the 60s were a most powerfully silly decade.  …

>…I think humans are a powerfully-silly bunch of any age (of, at, whatever)…

We are!

I was given the nickname Spike as a misunderstanding of someone calling me “Spock” from Star Trek.  The real Spike Jones was before my time, but it really worked, so that became my professional name, the one I used on my badge for nearly my entire career.

By fortunate accident, I became a tech lead at age 28.  It would appear a bit unseemly if I went to lunch with my own guys, so I went along more with the other leads, who were all typically 50s and even 60s.  So… they had a lot of fun making Spike Jones references that I didn’t get because I didn’t have any of his records and none of that stuff was on the radio by the time I had a radio.  It was a lotta fun for these guys: they would always be making these comments that went over my head, stuff from their misspent youth.

Unfortunately… all of those guys are passed on now, all of them, sigh.  This was one of their favorites, not Jones but rather Bing Crosby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjgqQcKE3DY

These yahoos were always making references to Spike Jones lyrics and thought it great fun that I had never heard of any of it.