[ExI] oh hey, why didn't we do this sooner...

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 06:58:25 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 3:06 AM spike jones via extropy-chat
> I am surprised at the discussion morphed to known cases: the law in California just passed this week.
>
> Dan I have never had any heartburn with actual trans people.  My own cousin was born ambiguous gender and never did fully embrace either gender as far as anyone could tell.  He eventually settled in with another ambiguous gender with whom xe has been living for over 30 years.  In our family we know to not ask too many questions.  Ja I know ambiguous gender is not the same as trans.
>
> Prisoners have nothing to lose.  So do tell me: what do we do if some really scary biological male prisoner claims to be female?  From what I am reading, he has the legal right to move over to Chowchilla.  Suppose you are the boss.  What do we do now, coach?

Remember, I'm the person for prison abolition, but looking at reports
on the law as passed, it seems it already covers this:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/california-house-transgender-inmates-gender-identity-73268318

'...the state can deny those requests if it has “management or
security concerns.” If a request is denied, the state must give the
inmate a written statement explaining the decision and give the inmate
a “meaningful opportunity” to object.'

Note earlier in the report too:

'The law ... says officers must ask inmates privately during the
intake process if they identify as transgender, nonbinary or intersex.
Those inmates can then request to be placed in a facility that houses
either men or women.'

So, it seems to me your horror scenario of the incarcerated male
rapist deciding to say he's now a transwoman is going to not work if
he presented beforehand as a man and the law seems to allow the
authorities to decide how credible any claims should he try to pass as
trans on intake. I don't know more details than this, so I can't
really say what the potential for error would be here. If it's
anything like the usual experience of trans or non-binary people, my
guess is it'll be heavily weighed against them. In other words, simply
trying to pass for convenience is going to be hard.

(Many anti-trans folks seem to have the view that being trans is too
easy. It seems like they think someone wakes up -- probably someone
preadolescent in the horror scenario -- and decides they want to be
another gender. Then by noon, they get medicated and are prepped for
gender affirmation surgery scheduled for the following week.)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst