[ExI] Spaceflight: The only valid case for waiting

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 07:52:58 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 9:47 AM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat

> "Promise ourselves a great adventure"?
>
> Such promises are made to be broken, and too many know it among those who would need to be appeased.
>
> We can never "solve our problems down here", in a permanent and complete sense.  Declaring that something must wait for that to happen first is literally declaring that said thing must never happen.
>
> This applies regardless of what the thing being deferred is, but especially when that thing could help address "our problems down here".  Spaceflight, fusion power, you name it.

Adrian, I totally agree with what you say here. This is a worst-case
strategy to consider if we are forced to abandon ambitious human
spaceflight programs (for you guys in the US, that could start
happening in a few weeks). All I mean is that, IF there's no way to do
real space in current political conditions, we must not give up hope
in the future but keep the fire alive under the ashes.