[ExI] new covid case rates

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Apr 7 05:29:27 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat

>…Obligated or not, compliance is always another matter. I presume you have speed limits posted in your area. What’s the compliance rate with these? Can one presume that merely because the speed limit posted is X that every vehicle or enough vehicles never exceed X?

Ja of course.  It is improper to compare covid-related policy to speed limits however, for speed limits are law, passed by legislatures.  As far as I know, no state legislatures anywhere passed covid law.  They handed that back to the governor, who does not have the authority to make law.

>>…New Jersey and New York both did that and are among the hardest-hit jurisdictions in the world.

>…They also have very high population densities for the US, no?

Regards,  Dan

Ja, which is what leads me to think the apparent correlation is really two effects of the same cause.

This is a good point for New York, for that state is a huge metropolis with the rest of it generally rural.  Check Google maps street view and see it.  Upstate New York is country roads with not much on them.  OK, suppose a governor wants to make rules that will work for both the city and the rest of the state.  How?  Suggestions: don’t send known-infected patients into nursing homes, and don’t intentionally distort fatality statistics.