[ExI] to my fellow renaissance life forms

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 18:46:29 UTC 2021

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 1:37 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 6:33 AM Dave Sill via extropy-chat <
>
>> Spike, the joke doesn't get funnier with repetition.
>>
> I'm pretty sure he wasn't joking.

That's pretty sad.

I know it won't help make this go away, but "background sounds" aren't
>> public domain.
>>
> Actually, they are.  I believe he means samples of whatever sounds are
> heard in public.

You may be free to record them, but once recorded they're copyrighted.

Rap does need a band.

> Rap can, and often is, performed with a one-person "band", which Spike may
> be counting as "not truly a band".

Rapping is the rhythmic, rhyming speech part of rap music, AKA hip hop
music, but rap music has various accompaniment, especially percussion,
which can be beatboxing, record scratching, playing of samples,
synthesisers, etc., that constitutes a band, IMO, even if it's just a "DJ"
pushing buttons.

I believe that Spike has no examples of rap that is not racist, sexist, or
> similar.  Might you please provide him with some examples that are more
> acceptable?

I'm not a rap fan but I've heard plenty that's not offensive. I don't have
the time or inclination to provide examples right now. Maybe later.

-Dave