[ExI] 'Copyright'

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 18:04:30 UTC 2021

Ben Zaiboc wrote:
"Of course you can. Nobody can stop you. They may be able to stop you
profiting from it, but they can't stop you putting it on the internet,
giving copies to your friends, reciting it to anyone who will listen, etc.

This is where you stop and consider: why did I write it (And are there
easier ways of making $45k)?"

I have thought about these things. And I could of course rewrite the whole
thing, to remove the W40K elements and make the story my own, in terms of
intellectual property. Quite a few established authors have done this when
they wrote a Star Trek or Star Wars novel, which was not picked up by the
publishing house, to their frustration. But I want to avoid doing this, if
at all possible.

And since I have been told I have a pleasant speaking voice a couple of
times in my life, I have thought about just doing my own audiobook reading
if the book is not purchased, and posting it for free on Youtube for people
to enjoy. I would be very curious to get feedback, because I only had a
tiny handful of beta readers.

I wrote the book out of a love for the W40K universe, and yes, because I
thought making that much money for a first novel would be nice. But I did
put a huge amount of time into the writing, with no guarantee of a
financial reward from it.

There are easier ways to make money, for certain! Lol I have played with
the idea for a number of years of getting into computer programming or
cyber security. And I am currently looking at Code Academy ($20 a month),
Free Code Camp (free), Team Treehouse ($200 a month), Pluralsight ($160 a
year) and Udacity ($400 a month) as possibilities. Any opinions on these
programs?  Are there other programs I should look at? There is a dizzying
number of options for learning this material! I would appreciate any
insights and advice from list members on the best way to move forward with
this goal of mine.

John  :  )

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 1:16 PM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <