[ExI] Population growth & Life-Extension

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Fri Aug 27 09:23:40 UTC 2021

On 27/08/2021 01:35, Adrian Tymes wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 1:40 PM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat
> <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
> <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>> wrote:
>
>     Life-extension. That's how to solve population growth problems.
>     Sounds counter-intuitive ("won't that make things worse?"), but do
>     the maths. Not only will it reduce population growth, but it will
>     encourage people to behave more responsibly, and I have to say,
>     even though I hate the term, 'sustainably'.
>

> I'm not sure it would reduce population growth, but the rest of that
> sounds correct - so it would at least reduce the problems related to
> population growth.

Graph showing effect of life-extension on population growth:

This assumes that extreme longevity will reduce the desire to have
children, which seems a reasonable assumption, given the usual real
reason for having kids (to look after you in your dotage). Note the
extreme difference between having an average of 2.5 kids and 2. Note
also that 2 kids per couple is no longer 'replacement rate', as there is
no death. Of course there still would be, but from accidents etc., not
from ageing.

I'm afraid I can't show you the actual calculatons behind this graph, I
seem to have lost them, and am not competent enough to recreate them
myself, but I'm sure many people reading this are.

Ben