[ExI] thoughts on omicron

Tiffany Kary tiffkary at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 13:21:49 UTC 2021

Here you conflate a couple of things: It isn't the case that the ability of
a virus to spread is inversely correlated to its severity. (In fact, with
Covid-19 we saw that the Delta variant was both more contagious AND
resulted in more severe illnesses because hosts shed more virions) What
contagion *is *correlated with is the activity of the host -- and with
Covid-19, you have a long incubation period where the host doesn't
experience symptoms and can go around spreading before they realize they're
ill -- and in fact some people never feel very sick at all, like patient
zero in New Rochelle, and keep spreading for days -- that's part of what
has made this coronavirus so successful compared to past related
coronaviruses like MERS where patients progressed to being bedridden very
quickly once symptoms occured.

In fact, once you start to think about how virus' ability to get around
affects its evolution, here's an interesting but important side note: when
people wear masks and social distance, it makes it harder for the virus to
hop from person to person -- meaning the virus has *even stronger *motivation
to keep its host alive and well...i.e. to be less dangerous. There are
already signs of how this is affecting Covid-19  -- check out Figure 5:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-02548-w

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 7:45 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <