[ExI] ARTS - Extropian poetry

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Feb 1 17:48:00 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat

Well right.  But Adrian, we don’t all have your talent, pal.

>…You can make a bot to bard up for fun.

Start with a chatbot, written in past time.

Review and revise the code, line by line.

Code in a sonnet's structure, have it run:
Ten syllables by fourteen lines, and done.
If it uses doggerel, 'tis no crime,
So long as it takes care to place its rhyme
On a consistent scheme, then you have won.
The Petrarchan version is a classic:
A B B A A B B A and then
C D E C D E to finish up.
Alternately you can do Shakespearic.
Either way a template that it fills in.
With the right programs, you too can bard up. … Adrian

Adrian, I remember chess software, watching it get better and better, with my first one in 1979, really just a toy but it could play an OK game if you gave it an hour per move and took one minute to ponder a reply.  Over time the software got better, and ja, we can ignore Deep Blue and all that, look at just the commercial level stuff.  I recall in about 2000 or 1999, the commercial software got so good I couldn’t really compete with it anymore.  I was at a chess party with Peter Thiel of all things, and he commented on how good it was.  Peter was a master at the time.  I reached Expert on my best day.

I remember getting that software and watching the transition from not as good as I am to better than I am to I can’t even compete with this anymore.

Now… poetry.  I can’t compete with software in poetry anymore.

Cool!