[ExI] Microsoft wants to reincarnate people as chatbots

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 01:18:04 UTC 2021

Hi Dylan,

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 5:02 PM Dylan Distasio via extropy-chat <

> An interesting parlor trick perhaps, but nothing more, unless we solve the
> hard problem.

There is no hard mind body problem, it's just an intrinsic color problem.
Of all our abstract descriptions of stuff in the brain, nobody knows which
of those is a description of the redness quality our brain uses to
represent red things with.  Abstract computers represent things with words
like 'red'.  You need a dictionary to know what that means.  We, on the
other hand, represent "red" information directly on the red intrinsic
quality of something in reality.  No dictionary required.  In other words,
once we discover which of all descriptions of stuff in the brain is a
description of your redness, we will finally be able to duplicate your
redness conscious knowledge.  Until then, all they will have is an abstract
word like 'red'.

As I said in my other post: "It’s only a matter of time before every piece
of external behavior can be perfectly duplicated by abstract systems.  But
there will always be a difference between the abstract (a word like “red’
which requires a dictionary to know what it means) and a physical redness
quality (does not require a dictionary), like we use to represent knowledge
of red things with."