[ExI] Section 230 and Antitrust

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 21:33:08 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 1:52 PM Anton Sherwood via extropy-chat <

> Meanwhile the slow death of mailing lists has long bothered me.  You all
> probably know by now that Yahoogroups (which absorbed at least two older
> hosts of mailing lists) has shut down.  Why aren't list servers as
> common as personal websites?

Because email is for old farts. :-) Google Groups is still an option, for
topics unlikely to prompt Google pulling the plug.

My web host offers WordPress (which I use), MediaWiki (which I can
> imagine using), Drupal, Piwigo, Joomla, LimeSurvey, ownCloud, but not
> mailman or anything of the sort.

Spinning up your own Mailman isn't hard.

To break the power of Facebook and Twitter we need decentralized
> versions of them, and for those to work we need the protocols to be
> widely supported (which may be a chicken-egg problem).  We need it to be
> easy for millions of users to set up their own nodes.

There's Diaspora:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaspora_(social_network)

And Tim Berners-Lee's Inrupt/Solid may turn out to have freedom of speech
benefits.

-Dave