[ExI] What sf/fantasy series are on your "try to watch fairly soon/someday" list?

Gabe Waggoner lostmyelectron at protonmail.com
Wed Jun 2 14:18:55 UTC 2021

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
<snip>

> Counterpart. (One of my favorite sci-fi shows ever. Canceled after two
>
> seasons.)
>
> FlashForward. (Based loosely on the book.)
>
> Brian

Great to see such robust discussion of sci-fi!

I, too, enjoyed Counterpart and FlashForward (I want to read the book). I loved Dark (dubbed from German but so effectively that it’s easy to forget, and it has a great soundtrack), Continuum, and Travelers. Dark Matter I enjoyed both conceptually and because it had several cast members from my beloved Stargate and Stargate: Atlantis. Colony was pretty good. I’m not a big history fan and thus didn’t expect to enjoy Outlander as a series, but I’ve ended up really liking it. The Orville is a great love letter to Star Trek.

I grew up on Star Trek. I cherish the original, TNG, DS9, and VOY; I watched Enterprise but found it derivative in its constant attempts to retroactively explain, e.g., the Borg, the smooth-headed Klingons, the Khan supermen. I watched Picard but didn’t care for it (yeah, I know I’m in the minority there). I haven’t seen any of Discovery other than the first half of the pilot that aired on network before CBS All Access became the only portal—but I didn’t like it so much. Haven’t seen any of the newer shows in the franchise.

Fringe is easily one of the best series I’ve ever seen (sort of like The X-Files meets The Twilight Zone and any basic crime procedural).

Also loved Alias. The Rambaldi mythology resonated with me and helped foster my interest in life extension. Basically, Milo Rambaldi was Nostradamus + da Vinci and had genius-level knowledge, developing advanced technology and revolutionary medicines centuries ahead of his time, as well as prophesying about modern times and the show's protagonist, an intelligence community double agent played by Jennifer Garner. The first two seasons are the best, and some gems are in the rest. Worth watching for me also because of the stellar Lena Olin and Victor Garber.

Battlestar Galactica (the remake) was good, too.

Apple's For All Mankind is excellent—I just finished the second season and enjoyed the show much more than I thought I would from reading the premise.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was fun. I like how that franchise can keep reenvisioning its premise.

I also admit to periodically watching Buck Rogers (just to hear Twiki's one-liners) and Space 1999 (if only for the dramatic quarter-turn that Barbara Bain does in the opening credits).

As a kid, I really liked the animated French show Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea. In brief: After a great cataclysm, a city of advanced humans plummets to deep in Earth’s strata. They have advanced technology but later forget their origins, believing the surface to have been destroyed. They evolve physically but forget how some of their technology works. Their artificial sun begins to fail, and they create a human representative to travel through the strata (apparently entire worlds can exist in them) looking for help to fix their sun.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Gabe