[ExI] What sf/fantasy series are on your "try to watch fairly soon/someday" list?

Ben ben at zaiboc.net
Wed Jun 2 22:30:54 UTC 2021

On 02/06/2021 19:08, John Grigg wrote:
> My own list... And it only gets longer and longer with the passage of
> time! Lol

I have nothing to add to that list, and might even try to watch some
things on it, but here are some of my observations on your list:

Humans: Can't say anything about the american series, but the british
one is quite good. The original swedish one is the best, but not
available with english dialogue or even subtitles, unfortunately.
Swedish or German only.

Doctor Who: The latest doctor caused me to stop watching this. Not
because she's female, but because the writers have turned it into a
propaganda vehicle. The villains are white middle-aged men, the heroes
are relentlessly black/gay/female, you get the idea. Plus Jodie
Whittaker can't really act. Apart from that, many doctors are very good,
some are ok, a few are dreadful. The series has had many ups and downs
over the years (or decades, I should say), but the more recent set have
been about the best, apart from the aforementioned, which seems to be
taking it back to the farcical Sylvester McCoy days, but worse, because
it takes itself seriously.

Westworld: Recommended. Well-done, thought-provoking.

Killjoys: Rubbish. Bad acting, bad plots, I watched about three episodes
then couldn't be bothered with it any more.

Dark Matter: Excellent, but for one detail. What Killjoys tries to be
but miserably fails. The detail: they cancelled it, which annoys me
immensely. Don't start watching it if you will be bothered that you
never get to see it wrap up the various storylines.

The Witcher: Not sf. Fantasy. Ok if that's your thing.

The Magicians: Don't bother. Tries to be an 'adult' Harry Potter, and
fails miserably on both counts.

Altered Carbon: I enjoyed it. Not everyone's cup of tea, though, and
tries a bit too much to be Bladerunner, stylistically.

Farscape: Classic.

Agents of Shield: For Marvel fans only, I think.

No need to say anything about Blakes 7, Enterprise, Babylon 5, etc.

Plus:

Not sf, but I enjoyed Black Sails immensely. Very good blending of
history and Robert Louis Stevenson, even though it sometimes takes
liberties with both. I recommend it if you have a liking for Pirate stories.

The most recent Lost in Space (with Toby Stevens, who plays Capt. Flint
in Black Sails) is quite good. Again, a nice re-imagining of the
original, with a good twist on Dr Smith.

Ben

--
Ben Zaiboc