[ExI] World's Fastest Electric Motorcycle

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Jun 25 18:42:47 UTC 2021

From: Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] World's Fastest Electric Motorcycle

>…Right, but the hole doesn't seem necessary to me.  After all, wings utilize the "venturi" effect, without a hole in the middle of them.  Wouldn't the hole just add lots of extra mass and increased drag, to achieve the more complex structure?  Wouldn't a simple tear drop shape, without a hole, be more efficient?

Brent I interpreted that is a way to accommodate more space for batteries and more surface area for air cooling.  Batteries are efficient but when drawing power out of them at the rate required for high speed run, they also need cooling.

This design might also be partially about ergonomics.  The rider’s legs need to go somewhere.  For top speed records, it is all about frontal area and coefficient of drag, as demonstrated by this 1948 record breaker:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollie_Free

At first glance, the hole bike looked absurd.  But upon further contemplation, that configuration makes sense.

spike