[ExI] Chalmers

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 01:54:12 UTC 2021

Hi Bill,

Sorry, this wasn't meant as a criticism of you.  I was just trying to point
out that I, Also, have a real problem with that kind of stuff, and that
even after spending 10 minutes on it, and having studied this field for
most of my life, I still have troubles understanding it.  And that I agree
with what Hermes was saying.  If anyone can figure it out, and show any
utility in such, maybe they can help me?

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 10:25 AM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> Mostly, in your post, I do not know what 'computationally bound' means.
> info.cgi/extropy-chat
> <http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/extropy-chat>

Good point.  "Computational binding" is a new term.  But we didn't just
coin that needed term as a needed label for a new concept.  We've canonized
it, and building consensus around it in the RQT
<https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Theories-of-Consciousness/6-Representational-Qualia#statement>
camp statement.  So far, nobody has objected to that particular term.  It
is simply pointing out that the "binding problem
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binding_problem>" can be solved with
"computation", like that done in a CPU when two registers are "bound" via
an ALU computational system or something.  While in the case of the term
"eff" the ineffable, some do think there is a better term, so we're trying
to measure for what is the best term for the most people, to communicate
the best here
<https://canonizer.com/topic/102-Communicating-Ineffable/1-Agreement>.  If
a term achieves more consensus than 'eff' the ineffable, we will switch to
that.

Oh, and the name of the next chapter we are working on for our video
<https://canonizer.com/videos/consciousness/> is "Computational Binding".
We expect to have that up in a month or so.  Or if you can't wait, you
can read, and maybe even help us polish the working draft of the chapter,
in our working transcript for the video, here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1REM15-ZXRTAh8HVMcWFlqZ4Ya7YIH6HRUMiYkW94TLE/edit?usp=sharing>
.