[ExI] Chalmers

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 03:18:59 UTC 2021

Hi Hermes,

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 7:38 PM Hermes Trismegistus via extropy-chat <

> There is no fundamental issue with vague and abstract intuitive concepts.
> Art relies and flourishes in such things. The problem is forcing arbitrary
> structure onto these concepts such as philosophy is wont to do. Someone can
> write a treatise on the true structure and meaning of a painting. But this
> would be intellectually dishonest because a painting, much like identity
> and mind, carries no fixed meaning or rules. Let art be art and laws be
> laws.

I agreed with you above about the way philosophers seem to obfuscate things
in complexity.  But I disagree with you here.  My prediction is that once
we fully understand qualia, knowing things like which of all our
descriptions of stuff in the brain is a description of redness, and things
like the symmetry theory of valence, we will be able to predict, and
simulate, with law like certainty, who likes what art, when, and why, and
we will be able to objectively describe and demonstrably reproduce what it
is like to experience all "art" for all people, in all its diverse
phenomenal colorness