[ExI] Chalmers

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 06:13:14 UTC 2021

Hi Mike,

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 9:20 PM Mike Dougherty via extropy-chat <

> On Tue, Mar 2, 2021, 10:22 PM Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <
>
>> I agreed with you above about the way philosophers seem to obfuscate
>> things in complexity.  But I disagree with you here.  My prediction is that
>> once we fully understand qualia, knowing things like which of all our
>> descriptions of stuff in the brain is a description of redness, and things
>> like the symmetry theory of valence, we will be able to predict, and
>> simulate, with law like certainty, who likes what art, when, and why, and
>> we will be able to objectively describe and demonstrably reproduce what it
>> is like to experience all "art" for all people, in all its diverse
>> phenomenal colorness
>>

> That sounds like the Tower of Babel

Wow, it is surprising to hear such a religious thing on a list like this.
Not that that is a bad thing, just surprising.
I hope neither I, nor anyone else, makes you feel uncomfortable for
supporting such a (I thought) rare view for this list.
Not sure, exactly what you mean.  If you are talking about the terrible
state of things, after everyone's language was changed, so most could no
longer communicate, I would dislike that, with you about not wanting that.

I would knock it down myself rather than be trapped in what would surely be
> an evil cage where everyone (or even just me) is forced to "eff" this and
> "eff" that with law-like certainty...

Wait a minute.  Who said anything about "forcing" anyone?  I'm completely
against any such forcing, and in fact, the entire reason we created
Canonizer, is to have a place where people can go, without worry of being
forcefully censored or canceled.
Just saying it will be possible, <https://youtu.be/X0mAKz7eLRc?t=145> for
whoever WANTS to do it, and even then, with only the parts they WANT to do
it with.
Does it bother you that your left hemisphere of your brain is "forced" to
"eff" the nature of all known conscious knowledge in your right hemisphere?
Each hemisphere of your brain only has half of the "bubble world" diorama,
which is your knowledge of the world.
Maybe you'd just not like it, if your left hemisphere was engineered to be
red/green inverted from your right hemisphere?
That would be a bit confusing.

I can say I don't know.  I am starting to believe that is the truest truth
> anyone can assert - everything else feels like selling a memeplex one
> thought at a time.

One of my favorite Mormon Doctrines is that we progress and learn "line
upon line, precept on precept
<https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=x0mxhfWZNzw&feature=share>".
To me, that is the quintessential extropian belief.  but it sounds like you
don't like such beliefs?
I'm betting there is some phenomenal quality no human has ever
experienced.  Are you saying I shouldn't attempt to discover as many of
those, and all other truths as best as I can?
If we can eventually fully simulate a mere finite human (with only a few
primary colors), that doesn't mean we will know, or have experienced,
everything.