[ExI] 30 Solutions to the Fermi Paradox

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 09:34:04 UTC 2021

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 at 02:00, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Entirely possible Mike.  But we are doing constant frequency scanning, so we can detect all the AM and FM signals still zinging around, as well as all the other frequencies.  We can tell if a signal is there.  This is what SETI-AtHome does: sifts thru enormous piles of data looking for a carrier frequency.
>
> I think you are right however: there is some form of radio communications that we don’t know about yet, which I think is highly directional collimated EM.  If we are not in the line of sight, we don’t get the signal.
>
> spike

The problem again is the overwhelming size of the universe. Even to
the nearest stars, communication at the speed of light is years out of
date, for further away stars it is hundreds or thousands of years out
of date. So not much point really.

For this universe we need to magic in instantaneous travel and
communication, but rumour has it that if this was possible it might
lead to a few problems.........

BillK