[ExI] the parties didn't do it

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Mar 30 21:09:03 UTC 2021

From: Henry Rivera <hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 12:54 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: spike at rainier66.com
Subject: Re: [ExI] the parties didn't do it

But we know spring breakers travel to and from Florida for the occasion. So the positive resulting cases of it were super-spreader could be everywhere, not just confined to Florida. We are seeing increases in 22 states and they are mostly younger people I have read. So maybe we are seeing the effects...

Hi Henry,

I agree, however if one were to create a map of the home location of spring breakers in Florida, one would find a higher concentration of Floridians there than from any other particular state.  If one can go to spring break parties by riding a bicycle across town, and one can go home after the party and sleep in one’s own bed, it is more likely one would go than if it required driving across a state or two, or more and renting hotels or camping on the beach.

Other states also have their local Spring break hotspots, where presumably different covid mandates are in place.  So we have no good way of determining if people caught in Florida then took it home or if they caught right there.  Either way, there should be a surge of new cases in Florida, particularly in Flagler, St. John’s, Brevard, Palm Beach and Broward counties, and I don’t know about the other side of the state, Hillsborough county, but I assume they have their share of Spring break hotspots.  Hmmm, all of this is an understatement: a majority of Florida counties border on the sea, so beaches they have in abundance.

We appear to be seeing a repeat of a puzzling observation: huge parties, no masks, little or no apparent impact on normal background covid rates.

Henry your observation about mostly younger people catching: it doesn’t appear to do much to them.  If their grandparents are vaccinated (as they are in most states now) then perhaps we should not expect any new surges in case rates.

Side note: if you ever get a chance to camp on the beach in Florida in the springtime, do it.  Do the heck outta that.  It’s an experience.  In most places the sand is soft and warm so you don’t really even need a pad.