[ExI] Can philosophers produce scientific knowledge?

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue May 11 01:16:43 UTC 2021

On Tue, 11 May 2021 at 11:10, Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <

> Yes, but again, let's throw out the irrelevant complexity about what the
> person is reporting, whether he is reporting it mistakenly, being forced or
> whatever.  Let's just focus on the facts of the matter of the quality of
> the experience.  it is ether a fact that the experience is redness, or the
> experiences is greenness.  The facts of the matter are dependent on the
> quality of the substrate which the subject is experiencing, as knowledge of
> the strawberry.  Everything we care about is simply the quality of the
> experience, which must remain factually consistent, over space and time.
> If the quality of the substrate of the experience changes, this must be
> notice.  If not, not noticed, either of which the subject must be aware.

Yes, that’s consistent with everything I have ever said, except for the
part about “the quality of the substrate which the subject is
experiencing”, because I think it is possible for the substrate to change
but the experience to remain the same.

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 7:01 PM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <

>> On Tue, 11 May 2021 at 10:52, Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <

>>> Yes, and let's get rid of this "looks a *BIT* different" stuff.  Let's
>>> just keep things simple so we don't get distracted with things that don't
>>> matter.  The pixel either has a redness quality, ,or a greenness quality.
>>> If it is a fact that the quality of the knowledge changes, or if the
>>> quality doesn't change, over space and time, the person both must be aware
>>> of those facts, and they must be able to report those facts of the matter.
>>> In other words, the quality of the person's experience of that pixel is
>>> dependent on it's particular colourness facts, consistently over space and
>>> time, and they will know if they do or don't change, over space and time.
>>>

>> Yes, so if we make some physical change in the brain and the subject does
>> not notice any difference at all, then that physical change in the brain
>> has not altered the qualia. The other possibility is that it has altered
>> the qualia, the subject notices, but is somehow forced to say that there is
>> no difference; but that seems absurd. Even more absurd is to say that the
>> qualia have changed but the subject does not notice, because that would
>> render the idea of qualia meaningless.
>>
>>> --
>> Stathis Papaioannou

Stathis Papaioannou