[ExI] totalitarian techniques

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 13:12:48 UTC 2021

On Fri, 12 Nov 2021 at 12:44, spike jones via extropy-chat

> …> On Behalf Of Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat
> Subject: Re: [ExI] totalitarian techniques
>
> >…If you doubt that our existing systems fail us, just consider how they
are tackling climate change. Short answer: They aren't. We won't stop it,
we'll have to adapt to it. Probably very poorly. And guess who will suffer
the most  Ben

> Ben, the problem is using the wrong tool for that job.  We shouldn’t be
attempting to use a legal system to combat climate change.  We should be
using market forces to do that.  So far, markets haven’t chosen that as a
high priority.

> spike

It's the Tragedy of the Commons writ large for the whole planet.
No individual company concerned about the profit margin in a
competitive environment is going to spend precious cash on fighting
climate change. They will worry that companies that don't spend money
like that will make larger profits and be more successful.

Fighting climate change has to be tackled at government level to pass
laws that apply to all companies.

But it is not going to happen. The next generation will have to
survive as best they can.