[ExI] DuckDuckGo

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 21:57:52 UTC 2021

On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 at 21:25, spike jones via extropy-chat

> BillK, the problem with that strategy is that Google already knows about
> my... em... my... well never mind that, I have already suffered through the
> indignity of knowing there are three or four Googler employees somewhere who
> sat around on graveyard shift smirking at my search stuff and so they
> already know about... that.
>
> So I get all the targeted advertisements for these... devices...  I can't
> even figure out what they are or how to use them.  Latex?  Feathers?  An
> electric... eh... a tube of... em... well never mind that either, if I go
> with an alternative search engine, another three or four employees get to
> experience gales of derisive laughter at my expense.  Unacceptable is this.
> Google already knows me.
>
> spike

Oh dear, where to start?  :)
It is not just 3 or 4 Google employees smirking. Google sells your
data to thousands of advertisers.
But if you don't use Google, it doesn't matter what Google knows, you
won't get Google ads.

Do you still see ads? How quaint!  I thought everybody used an
ad-blocker with their browser. (It speeds up your browser if it
doesn't waste time loading ads to your computer).

I didn't say 'alternative' search engine. I said 'private' search
engine. Private search engines don't store or use your data in any way
Some private search engines may still try to show general ads to you,
but the ad-blocker should disappear them.

If you like ads, don't want privacy, don't mind your every move being
tracked, and don't see any problems associated with that, then
obviously there is no need to adjust your internet behaviour.
Everybody has their own preferences.

BillK