[ExI] question not being asked in Alec Baldwin shooting

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 19:30:54 UTC 2021

On Oct 24, 2021, at 9:59 AM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> …> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
> Subject: Re: [ExI] question not being asked in Alec Baldwin shooting
>

> >…  But the NRA has opposed such things as background checks, like at gun shows, which would filter out criminals and paranoid schizophrenics.  How could a right wing org. do that?  No sense.  …
>
> bill w
>
> Billw the background checks would catch criminals but not paranoid schizophrenics, for there is no way (that I know of) to be convicted of paranoid schizophrenia.  Being a psychologist, you would recognize it, but it isn’t illegal to be in that state of mind, which is good, because if so, you as a professional would be obligated to report your patients you diagnosed as such, at which time they would… what?  Be imprisoned?  Or only imprisoned if they attempt to vote while being schizophrenic?  And what about states which allow ex-convicts to vote?  Would those states also allow ex-schizophrenics to vote?  How do schizophrenics prove they have served their time as schizophrenic and are not that way anymore?

Regarding the law, again, google is your friend:

https://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-and-criminal-justice/possession-of-a-firearm-by-the-mentally-ill.aspx

And see also:

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/gun-laws/policy-areas/background-checks/mental-health-reporting/

In fact, this has lead some libertarians to argue that the mentally ill — who are far more likely to be shot read by cops — should be armed:

https://c4ss.org/content/39669

[big snip of stuff on security clearances jury to make this a bit more comcide]

Regards,

Dan