[ExI] , question for Max or anyone

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 17:55:12 UTC 2021

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 1:39 PM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> On 02/09/2021 00:30, bill w asked:
> > Is money being spent wisely in the tech industry?  Are they spending
> > too much on things that will make a lot of money as compared to
> > something that will really advance knowledge?  What are they not
> > spending enough money on

A better question might be to ask how we can address the fact that
capitalism is all about making money, whether the long-term term effects
are good for society or not. Facebook has some pluses and minuses, but the
corporation doesn't bear any liability for the damage it causes.

Longevity research.

> Not only will that benefit the human race, it will make a cubic buttload
> (to employ a Spikeism) of money.
>
> Why isn't there a lot more longevity research? I can only think it's
> simple short-sightedness.

Research is expensive and longevity is a tough nut to crack. It takes deep
pockets to invest in it heavily. And there's a fraction of the population
that is morally opposed to it as it's going against the natural order of
things.

-Dave