[ExI] Running up against energy limits

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 09:28:57 UTC 2021

There is a very long article just out that claims that the Afghanistan
disaster was fundamentally about the USA hitting resource limits.

<https://ourfiniteworld.com/2021/08/30/the-afghanistan-fiasco-and-todays-high-level-of-conflict-reflect-an-energy-problem/>

Quote:
The Afghanistan Fiasco (and Today’s High Level of Conflict) Reflect an
Energy Problem

Posted on August 30, 2021 by Gail Tverberg

There is a saying, “Everything happens for a reason.” The fiasco in
Afghanistan is no exception to this rule. Even though it is not
obvious, the United States is up against energy limits. It needed to
pull back from Afghanistan to try to have enough energy to continue in
its other roles, such as providing benefits for its growing army of
retirees, and building infrastructure to mitigate the COVID-19
downturn.

The fundamental problem is that governments can add debt and other
indirect promises of resources that create goods and services, but
they cannot actually create the low-cost energy, water and mineral
resources needed to fulfill those promises.

The way energy limits play out is not at all intuitive. Most people
assume that we will run out of oil, leading to a spike in oil prices.
We will then transition to renewables. As I see it, this understanding
is completely wrong. Limited energy supply first leads to a need for
simplification: Stepping back from Afghanistan would be one such type
of simplification. It would save energy supplies and reduce the need
for greater tax revenue or added debt.

In this post, I will try to explain some pieces of the problem.

Looks like we *really* need a cheap energy replacement for fossil fuels
as soon as possible.
(Then we can get back to fighting more wars as usual).   :(

BillK