[ExI] comprisition, was: New Bioscience Company Raises $15 Million to Revive Woolly Mammoth

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Fri Sep 17 01:38:18 UTC 2021

On 2021-9-16 09:34, SR Ballard via extropy-chat wrote:
 > English has a long tradition of verb+preposition meaning
 > something different than simply the verb.
 >
 > Example:
 >
 > Break
 > Outbreak
 > Break out
 > Break in
 > Break up
 > Break down
 > Etc.
 >
 > Breaking up with your boyfriend and breaking him are not even nearly
 > the same, and compare that to breaking in or breaking out with him?

The only preposition here is 'with'.  There may be better examples but
this isn't one.

> And besides that, why can’t we speak casually on an email list? Do we need to be formal and stuffy?

As I was mentioned of before, my initial sally about "comprised of" was
a quick casual barb aimed at whatever magazine JG was quoted of; I only
expanded on it when JG replied to that.

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org