[ExI] now they ask

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 20:09:49 UTC 2022

"We" is all of us.  I didn't get ANY covid vaccines (or covid).  It doesn't
change the fact that we are still in a cultural environment where people
blindly trust "Science" and 'science-y' stuff without knowing anything
about what they are talking about or about science in general.  It is
scary.

Trust the experts!  These NPCs think all scientists are moral paragon
dedicated to truth or something.   Such a naïve view.  I remember being a
kid and thinking all doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc were so smart and
amazing.  But part of growing up is realizing they are all just people.
Some smart, some dumb.  Some principled, others corrupt.

These Science worshippers act like scientists would never do something
like...a study paid by a corporation like coca cola designed to show sugar
isn't bad.  They did.  Sponsored studies with hypotheses and methods
designed designed prove a point are common.  Ad are studies designed to
prove a personal point.  Sometimes a study shows the opposite of what the
PI wanted so they destroy the evidence, or alter its presentation to keep
supporting their view.  Studies can be designed to essentially show any
viewpoint is correct at a cursory glance, which is why experimental design
is so important.

But these NPCs don't know about experimental design.   They don't know
about the nepotism and other quid pro quos in the worlds of publication and
peer review.  They don't know that it's easy and not that uncommon for
scientists to lie for money or pride.  Because they aren't angels.  They
aren't clergy.  They are people.  And some people are corrupt, or stupid,
or both.

I feel like the 'powers that be' (basically, shorthand for the most
powerful people in government, corporations, agencies, clergy, etc) have
honestly taken a lot of effort to obfuscate what science really is, which
is a tool for examining reality.  People scream "trust the science!!!"
"trust the experts!!!" but when I show them scientific papers that disagree
with them, they don't count those people as experts.  Trust the science as
long as it agrees with me!  It drives me up the wall and honestly makes me
sick.  I can only hope we correct course soon because I fear things will
get even more dystopian than they already are

On Mon, Apr 4, 2022, 2:56 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <