[ExI] Live Forever in the Metaverse

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 20:27:04 UTC 2022

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 1:06 PM BillK via extropy-chat <

> This sounds like a progression from the chatbot created of a dead
> person to a similar chatbot but speaking via a life-like avatar in the
> Metaverse.  It might make the Metaverse rather unnerving if you never
> knew whether you were speaking to a bot, a dead avatar, or a real live
> person.

Despite all the hype, what they actually create is fairly easy to
distinguish from an actual person.  There is usually no capability to learn
new information - not even the name of whoever they are speaking with.
When there is, it is rarely retained more than briefly.

Also, most of the data they would need to make better models, they don't
know to collect - and thus it gets lost.  In particular, any data outside
the context in which the data was recorded.  Just within the past 24 hours,
I was talking about a critical life experience in someone's life that
happened more than half that person's lifetime ago - and because it was so
long ago, it was never mentioned in modern times (because it never came up,
so the person never thought to mention it), and then lost with the person,
having to be reconstructed from other, subsequently-discovered accounts
once it became relevant.