[ExI] bee having fun

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Apr 30 01:23:11 UTC 2022

…> On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] bee having fun

>… I trust you wouldn’t argue that all blogs should be open to anyone placing content on them — even without the blog owner’s consent… Regards,  Dan

Ja, note that the debate isn’t directly about filters and banning.  Musk didn’t actually say anything about relaxing rules on Twitter.  The grand innovation he is bringing is to make the filters open source.  He is showing us how it works.  He isn’t saying anything about turning anything off or turning it down.  He is offering something Twitter didn’t have before.

Big social media are the defacto public square.  I do feel their rules for participation should be open and transparent.  Here’s what he said:

"Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated.  I also want to make Twitter better than ever by enhancing the product with new features, making the algorithms open source to increase trust, defeating the spam bots, and authenticating all humans. Twitter has tremendous potential – I look forward to working with the company and the community of users to unlock it."  Elon Musk

OK, sounds good to me.

Aside: I have a notion that skilled programmers can put all the rules in software such that no human needs to be in the loop at all, which is good because… it is easy enough to envision the entire internet-enabled planet migrating to that platform.  If so, there is just no way to hire enough proles to filter a billion tweets a day.

Regarding internet safe spaces: those can be arranged, or current internet media can be transformed to rigorously-filtered safe spaces.  Mark Zuckerberg can turn FaceBook into that, a safe space with no meanies allowed, no mentioning Hunter Biden’s laptop from hell for instance, can’t talk about that there, instant banishment to the depths of Twitter for any FaceBooker who even mentions it in jest.