[ExI] gaming the system

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 16:55:50 UTC 2022

Aesthetics:  I have read quite a bit of it, trying to understand, and the
philosophers have failed to make sense to me.  For one thing, few if any
art people would acknowledge that there are rules to what they are doing,
and if there are rules, they will be happy to break them and flaunt them,
or create new rules.  Think of how some of us don't want to think of rap as
music.  Oh it's music, all right, just as highly inferior cartoons are
visual art.  How can one be creative while doing the same old things?
Well, Michelangelo did it, Leonardo did it, Debussy did it (though he
stretched music perhaps more than anyone else close to that time).  Lots of
people did it but their stuff didn't catch on.  (someone will dig it up
later and claim that it's genius work and some will buy into that - think
of Grandma Moses, or are you too young?).

Bottom line:  great art is when I like it.  Poor art is when I don't like
it.  But it is not, I think, a coincidence that what I think of as great is
acknowledged as great by authorities.  .  Other things thought of as great
by authorities, such as SChoenberg, I think of as maybe a good idea but
poor execution (i.e. I don't like it).  It's all opinion and no truth to be
found.  bill w

On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 11:13 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <