[ExI] chinese fires, was:RE: book review

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 02:38:13 UTC 2022

On Thu, 1 Dec 2022 at 13:00, spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *From:* extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> *On Behalf
> Of *Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat
> *…*
>
> The FBI falsified evidence.  They caught the guy.  Did almost nothing to
> him.  Now… the FBI falsifies evidence.
>
> >…There are two issues: officials being dishonest and breaking their own
> rules (eg. falsifying evidence) and the rules themselves being bad rules.
> The application of Sharia law may be fair and honest, but it still sucks.
> In your jurisdiction also there may be laws that are applied fairly and
> honestly, but you disagree with the laws. You can try to change them, but
> if you can’t you are stuck with them.
>
> --
>
> Stathis Papaioannou
>

> Ja, no.  This isn’t their rules.  Falsifying evidence by authorities is
> completely wrong, never justifiable in any jurisdiction by any government
> authority ever.  If a cop plants dope in the bad guy’s trunk in order to
> arrest that guy and question him for another crime, that is still
> falsifying evidence.  If that cop is caught, the perp goes free on both the
> dope charges and whatever they wanted to question him for, and the cop goes
> to prison where he damn well belongs.  Sharia law is irrelevant, the
> religion of any of the participants is completely irrelevant, there is no
> justification, not even partial.
>

> The police must be the good guys.  If they do illegal things in order to
> catch the bad guy, they become the bad guys, and the original bad guy goes
> free.  The police must play by the rules, with “the rules” meaning the
> law.  They must stay inside the law to enforce the law.  That would be US
> law, not sharia.
>

> This is a good thing.  Imagine a coupla fellers have a beef with each
> other, perhaps they both like the same girl.  They fight, the one feller
> whoops the other, gets the girl.  The loser goes to police academy, gets a
> badge, pulls over the victor, puts dope in his trunk, finds it, the winner
> gets 20 yrs in Alcatraz, the loser consoles the lonely bride of the
> prisoner and takes her away.
>

> See how this can go wrong?  There must be a severe price for falsifying
> evidence.  Otherwise the FBI cannot be trusted.  The FBI falsified
> evidence.  Caught, convicted.  They did almost nothing to the perp.  Now,
> the FBI cannot be trusted.  There are no extenuating circumstances to
> consider, none.

Yes, I agree they are breaking their own rules and that this is wrong. But
it is possible to have a society where police, the courts and politicians
are all perfectly honest, never break their own rules, but the rules are
bad. It’s a different type of problem, but still a problem.