[ExI] pay to not play

Dave S snapbag at proton.me
Mon Dec 5 17:23:10 UTC 2022

On Monday, December 5th, 2022 at 8:58 AM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

>>…Given the number of marijuana users in the country, it's safe to say that a lot of people have committed that felony, too. As a libertarian, I don't think it's the government's business…
>
> In principle I agree. Of course that now nullifies federal government control of firearm sale, but in light of what is going down in China and Iran right now, one can reasonably argue that firearms are a most prudent purchase.

What nullifies federal government control of firearm sales?

>>… A video of some purported activity isn't proof that the purported activity actually happened, or that it happened prior to the signing of an ATF 4473…
>
> That’s part of it, but there is an interesting part 2. The computer repairman who unlocked the abandoned laptop found amateur porno videos on there which had no documentation regarding the identity of the participants. This made those videos either child pornography or the legal equivalent of that (for the makers of those kinds of videos have the legal obligation to maintain documentation showing that the subjects were aware they were being recorded, willing to participate and of legal age.) Without that documentation, the video is either child pornography or the legal equivalent of that.

Considering that the laptop was not in his custody for some time, proving that Hunter Biden put them there could be difficult. With good lawyers--which I'm sure he'd have--this wouldn't be a slam dunk.

> The computer repairman was legally in possession of the files after a certain date. Now he was in a fix. If he erased the video, he would be destroying evidence. If he handed it over to the FBI, he might have been committing suicide next week. If he made a copy and gave it to the political adversary of the FBI, he would be distributing child pornography. Some days it is just no fun being a computer repairman.

C'mon... Murder? You've been watching too many bad movies or conspiracy theory web sites.

> OK so what if we go ahead and allow the contents of that laptop to nullify firearm purchase law and child pornography law.

Here you go with nullification, again. Are you seriously saying that if they don't prosecute every possible violation of a law, the law ceases to exist? Prosecutors have to decide which cases are winnable all of the time.

>>…Voters have amply demonstrated that they can't be trusted to think for themselves. I don't see a way out of this mess.

> Dave I don’t really see it as a problem on the part of the voters, but rather the elected government. But I do see a way out of this mess.

OK, so you don't think that the people who elect and re-elect, ad nauseam, bad elected officials are fundamentally responsible?

-Dave