[ExI] pay to not play

Dave S snapbag at proton.me
Mon Dec 5 18:01:40 UTC 2022

On Monday, December 5th, 2022 at 12:43 PM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

>>…OK, so you don't think that the people who elect and re-elect, ad nauseam, bad elected officials are fundamentally responsible? -Dave
>
> Sure we are, but also consider our times, when our own FBI appears to be corrupt and working for a particular party. How hard would it be for the FBI to rig an election? I don’t mean merely improperly influencing social media and starting false conspiracy theories, I mean actual voter machine tampering, creating counterfeit mail-in ballots, all that.

I think it would be extremely hard, and very likely to be discovered. You have 50 states to meddle with, all with their own rules, and many different voting systems.

> Until we get rid of electronic voting machines and most mail-in ballots, we have lost trust in the election system as it is being run. So we don’t know if we keep electing and re-electing the bad guys in the two mainstream parties. We are told that is what is happening, but do you trust them? Neither do I.

Paper ballots aren't perfect. They won't make allegations of fraud disappear. Unless you're proposing that there's a vast bipartisan conspiracy controlling everything and orchestrating shifts in the balance of power, I am inclined to believe that voting fraud is not a significant problem. If that conspiracy does exist, paper ballots aren't going to make it go away.

-Dave