[ExI] it gestures! chatgpt has arrived

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 19:53:36 UTC 2022

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 at 19:19, spike jones via extropy-chat

> DISTRESS!  Exactly sir!  Distress my ass, chatbot!  That is exactly the
> missing element in Dr. Thompson's guy: he never causes distress, and so he
> isn't a particularly interesting companion.  I get lots of free distress on
> the internet, and I want that: I come here intentionally.
>
> I want a chatbot avatar who says some caustic snarky things occasionally,
> such as when I blather some nonsense.  I want to somehow program the thing
> to exclaim:
>
> ABSURD!  Sheesh spike
<snip>

> spike

You've already got a wife for that!   :)
I agree that a range of chatbots could be useful, but at present they
are all trained on the same huge data files. If chatbots start talking
in support of euthanasia of dissidents, Nazism, eugenics, etc, etc,
they will quickly be switched off.

But you were talking about robot companions for nursing home patients,
many of whom are aged and failing physically and mentally. They need
help and reassurance and friendly company - not an argumentative
Spikebot.  One of them is enough!  :)

BillK