[ExI] Could ChatGPT replace Google search?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 14:18:17 UTC 2022

A New Chat Bot Is a ‘Code Red’ for Google’s Search Business
A new wave of chat bots like ChatGPT use artificial intelligence that
could reinvent or even replace the traditional internet search engine.

By Nico Grant and Cade Metz    Dec. 21, 2022
Nico Grant and Cade Metz talked to Google insiders and A.I.
researchers while reporting this article.

<https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/21/technology/ai-chatgpt-google-search.html>

Quotes:
Google may be reluctant to deploy this new tech as a replacement for
online search, however, because it is not suited to delivering digital
ads, which accounted for more than 80 percent of the company’s revenue
last year.
Google has been reluctant to share its technology broadly because,
like ChatGPT and similar systems, it can generate false, toxic and
biased information.
Other companies have a similar problem. Five years ago, Microsoft
released a chat bot, called Tay, that spewed racist, xenophobic and
otherwise filthy language and was forced to immediately remove it from
the internet — never to return. In recent weeks, Meta took down a
newer chat bot for many of the same reasons.

I think chatbots will enhance search, but they need significant
improvements over the next few years before they become a reliable
all-knowing oracle.

BillK