[ExI] The most precious essence

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Feb 6 19:05:40 UTC 2022

…> On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] The most precious essence

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022, 1:20 PM Angel Z. Lopez via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

>>…you guys are missing the whole point of being alive. Your brain is a single node part of a larger network. Once your node dies it doesn’t ever come back.. Angel

>…I don't think anyone is disputing that alive > dead… Mike

Mike and Angel, consider those two comments and how they play together.

If a mind is not substrate-dependent, then a brain can theoretically be simulated based on the content of an existing mind.

If so, then statement number 2 above is incorrect kinda: in that case, alive isn’t greater than dead exactly.  If we want to say being simulated after cryonics = dead (in accordance with statement 1 above) and the brain is a node in a larger network, then a sim mind is way more effective at being a network node than a meat brain.  Reasoning: the I/O isn’t as severely bottlenecked as is our carbon-based brain.