[ExI] The most precious essence

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Tue Feb 8 22:13:30 UTC 2022

On 08/02/2022 01:46, BillK wrote:
> If a mind can be run on hardware -

Well, it's the hardware we have now that has made minds possible. What
is the brain, if not hardware? Ok, it's squishy, but that's not what we
mean when we distinguish between hardware and software. You could say
"non-organic hardware", but who's to say that we have to use non-organic
hardware to construct future mind substrates? Polymer brains might well
be possible. It could be that going down a silicon and electrons route
wouldn't be such a good idea, given how vulnerable that would be to
cosmic rays and such.

The existence of our current brains and minds is all the proof needed
that uploading is at least theoretically possible. Just as biology is
proof that nanotechnology is possible.

Ben