[ExI] a gmo heart- NYT

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Jan 11 00:31:49 UTC 2022

…> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] a gmo heart- NYT

In a development that could radically transform the outlook for people with failing organs, a 57-year-old man with a life-threatening heart ailment has received  <https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/bmmQlXAWtLZbZLZblJKS2w~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRjv0LBP0TlaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMi8wMS8xMC9oZWFsdGgvaGVhcnQtdHJhbnNwbGFudC1waWctYmVubmV0dC5odG1sP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTU3JmVtYz1lZGl0X25lXzIwMjIwMTEwJmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTQ5OTM4Jm5sPWV2ZW5pbmctYnJpZWZpbmcmcmVnaV9pZD02NDE1OTc3NiZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTc5Mjk3JnRlPTEmdXNlcl9pZD01ZTcxMTM5Yjc5YWIxNDMzZDA3NzEwZDhmODgzNTZjOFcDbnl0Qgph1cG93GH9UjfnUhNmb296bGVyODNAZ21haWwuY29tWAQAAAAA> a new heart from a genetically modified pig, the first successful transplant of a pig’s heart into a human.

The Maryland man would have died had he not received a new heart, and he was too sick to receive a heart from a human donor. His long-term prognosis remains to be seen, but the first 48 hours, which are critical, passed without incident.

“I wasn’t sure he was understanding me,” said the man’s doctor, describing the moment he proposed the procedure. “Then he said, ‘Well, will I oink?’”

This is so cool, I hope they can get it going.  We have been using swine heart valves for a long time: my grandmother-in-law had one.  It lasted for 11 years, then she perished of something else.  Hearts are a bit more forgiving methinks (I am no expert on this matter) compared to kidneys, so I don’t think we can realistically expect this tech to lead to the use of swine kidneys.