[ExI] enough time has passed...

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 05:38:55 UTC 2022

On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 11:22 PM Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So what is your position: IF at some future point it could be shown to
> your satisfaction that masks and vaccinations would save lives, but only if
> enough people participated, would it be reasonable to mandate these
> measures if voluntary participation were insufficient?

### Let's posit the following situation:

A new virus created in a PLA lab in China is accidentally released. It does
not kill men but it kills all women (the PLA was trying to make a weapon to
sterilize all non-Han people but somebody forgot to clean the air filter at
the lab, so an intermediate viral construct leaked out). Women cannot be
vaccinated because the virus is designed to circumvent the immune system in
women and kills them rapidly no matter what. However, the virus becomes
partially dormant in men, does not kill them but continues to be shed in
exhaled air, so any infected man is a walking woman-killer. A vaccine can
however clear the virus in men, rendering them again safe to be around
women.

In this world women can claim that men *must* be vaccinated, or else almost
all women would die, or have to be confined to manless spaces with
filtered air, which would be a major disruption to their way of life.

Would I support a mandate for all men to be vaccinated, or else be banished
to a place far away from women? Sure I would, and I would come to the
vaccination station as soon as possible (just as I got the Covid vaccine,
in January 2020). A vaccine mandate here would be an efficient way of
protecting those who cannot efficiently protect themselves in other ways.
This is the important part - those ingroup members who are *unable to
protect their own lives*, through no fault of their own, may have a claim
on other ingroup members to extend protection to them, at least in some
circumstances.

You notice how different this situation is from the covid hysteria, where
the vaccine does not protect other people, everybody can be vaccinated, and
everybody will be infected anyway, rendering them safer than the vaccinated
ones, so no person can claim that other people *must* be vaccinated or else
that person's life would be destroyed.

Such details make all the difference.

All of the above is just a verbose way of me saying that the mere claim,
true or not, that vaccines save lives is not a sufficient justification for
a mandate.

And don't get me started on masks, these dehumanizing, humiliating pieces
of medically useless trash.

Rafal