[ExI] enough time has passed...

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 23:20:31 UTC 2022

On Mon, 24 Jan 2022 at 09:00, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> Jail is bad enough, I think the Supreme Court needs to decide that
> solitary confinement is cruel and unusual punishment.  Psychologically it
> just a terrible thing to do to a person.  bill w

Killing them is also cruel, if not unusual. More cruel than solitary
confinement or a botched execution attempt causing a sore arm where the
injection leaked out.

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 1:29 PM Will Steinberg via extropy-chat <

>> On Sun, Jan 23, 2022, 1:37 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <
>>
>>> The only problem I have with the 'tough on crime' attitude is that
>>> draconian measures are often used, such as the three and out.
>>>
>>> Three felonies of any kind means life in prison.  Some third crimes are
>>> ridiculous in nature but judges hands are tied in most places.  Drug crimes
>>> are the worst.  Small amounts of something put people away for life and
>>> that's just wrong.  Crimes against people, and to a much lesser extent,
>>> property, should be the focus - not victimless crimes.  (please don't tell
>>> me that there aren't such - I am aware of the argument)
>>>
>>> This also costs billions of dollars to taxpayers, millions of whom are
>>> committing the little crimes that are putting people in jail for life.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what is happening in Colorado?  Now that pot is legal,
>>> what about the people in jail for simply possessing it?  Should they be set
>>> free?
>>>
>>> Tough on crime can mean swatting flies with hammers.  bill w

>> Yeah tough on crime isn't something I like in its current incarnation.  I
>> think jail is torture and that the government shouldn't be allowed to
>> execute people.
>>
>> Mostly need to focus on education and reducing poverty. For crimes focus
>> on rehabilitation not retribution.  Bloodthirst solves nothing.
>>
>> Perhaps no jail, replace with some kind of financial outcast system.  But
>> castes have their own issues

Stathis Papaioannou