[ExI] Rafal's knee nostrum was Re: knees and math

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 04:36:43 UTC 2022

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 6:07 PM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> *From:* extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> *On Behalf
> Of *Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat
> *Subject:* [ExI] Rafal's knee nostrum was Re: knees and math
>

> On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 12:01 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <
>

> So... why do old knees hurt but young knees do not?  What physiological
> change took place?
>

> ### Mitochondrial damage accumulates over time, decreasing
> energy-generating capacity, shifting energy generation towards glycolysis,
> decreasing reserves needed for maintenance of tissue integrity (in
> cartilage it's proteoglycan turnover). Cartilage that is not maintained
> becomes brittle, inflammatory response is mounted against the degenerating
> tissue matrix and chondrocytes die off, the whole mess irritates
> surrounding tissues that have innervation and pain signals are generated….
> - if the joints are unstable mechanically or the pain is extreme and
> unrelenting, consult a physician with expertise in exercise science.
>

> Rafal
>

> WOWsers, thanks Dr. Rafal!
>

> I have been ramping up the exercise.  The FitBit is keeping track of it
> all, so I made some graphs and charts for my archives.  Interesting stuff,
> and I think you are right: keep them moving, it isn’t so much wear and tear
> with joints, it is wear and repair.  Keep that cycle going and it keeps
> going.

### While aerobic exercise is certainly good for you, I need to stress that
the stretch exercises I described are a completely different beast,
intended to achieve a different goal. Running is probably good for your
joints, too, in the right dose but stretch exercises help with joint
maintenance through a different mechanism and should be used in parallel to
aerobic and weigh exercise (and weight-bearing exercise is yet another and
different aspect of the comprehensive body maintenance program, important
for yet another task - prevention of osteoporosis and frailty).

Rafal